This sub-regional meeting was organized as the result of the West Africa sub-regional training session held in Guinea in December 2016. 30 participants (11 females and 19 males) from Benin, Burkina, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo attended this training session and exchange programme held at Popenguine, Thies, Senegal from 9th – 15th December 2017.
The training session aimed at building the capacity of national leaders for better integration of Environment and Peace issues into their agendas and effective management of related activities at the national levels. It also aimed at training, sharing experiences and resolutions in the sense of the environment protection and Peace building. With regard to the environment, problems such as climate change, pollution in all its forms as well as the inherent issues of conflict in society that YCS members intend to contribute to towards its eradication.
The study session focused on Religion and Environment, National Policies on Climate Change, Environmental and social Issues in Africa, Negotiations and International Agreements. The technical training focused on the application of the student version of the Psychosocial Conflicts Analysis Tool (PSCAT).
As resolutions and recommendations of this session, the participants committed to:
- Continue the Pan-African dynamics of environmental protection.
- Improve the follow-up of sub-regional meetings.
- Strengthen communication between National teams and sub-regional coordination and the Pan-African coordination.
- Contribute on the updating of the IYCS Africa website in terms of giving materials.
- Promote the student version of the Psychosocial Conflict Analysis Tool at the local levels.